The Council of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura acting in terms of Section 34 of the Universities Act No 16 of 1978 and subsequent amendments invites applications or nominations from citizen of Sri Lanka for the post of Vice-Chancellor.
Under the provision of the Universities Act No. 16 of 1978, the Vice-Chancellor is a full time Officer of the University. He/She shall be the Principal Executive Officer, the Principal Academic Officer and the Accounting Officer of the University. He/She shall be an ex-officio member and Chairman of both the Council; and the Senate.
The Vice-Chancellor shall, unless He/She vacates office earlier or removed from office in terms of the Universities. Act No. 16 of 1978, hold office for a term of three years or until He/She completes his/her sixty fifth year whichever occurs earlier. The applicants/ nominees should be less than sixty three (63) years of age.
The Vice-Chancellor will be responsible for providing academic leadership, formulating and introducing management policies and implementing the decisions of the Council. He/She will be responsible for the general administration of the University and in doing so, uphold the principles of academic excellence, transparency, accountability, democratic management and effective non partisan leadership.
The successful candidate should possess a record of high academic achievement including a strong research profile, proven leadership qualities and interpersonal skills to interact objectively with diverse interest groups, a clear understanding of policy issues and a commitment to the effective implementation of decisions. He/ She should also possess a deep understanding of the ethos and mission of the University including commitment to the community. The Council of the University shall adopt a two–way evaluation process to recommend names from among the candidates who applied/ nominated for the Post of Vice – Chancellor based on the followings:
- Strategic Focus
- Effective Leadership
- Holistic Thinking/ Conceptual Skills
- Academic and Research Excellence
- Personal Integrity
- Professional Communication
- Managerial Competence
(Prospective applicants/ nominators are invited to visit the University web site http://www.sjp.ac.lk for details).
All eligible applications for the post of Vice Chancellor shall be summoned for an interview by the Evaluation Committee. If any candidate is not in Position to appear before the Evaluation committee, he/she shall be allowed to make the Presentation Via Video Conferencing. Candidates shortlisted by the Evaluation Committee shall be summoned before the Special Council Meeting for the brief presentation of minimum ten (10) minutes duration but not exceeding 15 minutes.
The identification and ranking of the three eligible candidates, from among the applicants/nominees, to be forwarded to the University Grants Commission, for consideration for appointment, as per the accepted procedure, by the University Council as prescribed in the UGC Circular No 02/2020 dated 04-05-2020.
The Vice-Chancellor is eligible to be placed at the highest academic salary scale and to receive an entertainment allowance of 15% of the salary.
The following documents should accompany applications/nominations. The applicant/ nominee may be required to present formally or informally his/her vision for the University to the Council.
- A Complete Curriculum Vitae of applicant/ nominee including date of Birth.
- A statement of vision for the development of the University.
- A brief account of what the candidate/nominee proposes to achieve, if appointed to the Post of Vice-Chancellor.
- Where the incumbent Vice-Chancellor is an applicant or applicant had held the Post of Vice Chancellor of the University before, he/she should give a report highlighting accomplishments during his/her prior period of office in addition to the documents mentioned in Paragraph (ii) above.
- A letter of consent from the nominee in case of nomination.
- A letter from the employer indicating whether applicant/nominee could be released in the event of his/her appointment to the post, in case of an applicant/ nominee serving in public service, corporation, statutory body and higher educational institution other than the University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
Applications/ nominations should be addressed to the “Registrar, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Gangodawila, Nugegoda” and sent under registered cover or hand delivered to reach him on or before 3.00 p.m. on 30th June 2020.
The envelope containing the application/nomination with relevant material must be marked “Post of the Vice-Chancellor “on its top left hand corner.
Applications/ nominations received after the closing date and time will not be considered.
Secretary to the Council and Registrar
University of Sri Jayewardenepura