Senior Prof. Sampath Amaratunge, the Vice-chancellor of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura visited Jiaotong University in China on the 29th of September 2019. This university is established in 1951 as a public university and performing in different fields of studies while their main expertise is focused on the field of Engineering. The purpose of the visit was establishing long term collaboration between universities while meeting the following specific objectives.
- Establishing ‘The Silk Road Innovation Academy’ joining with recently established Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- To develop the Joint Industry – Academy collaboration projects under Belt & Road framework, each party will contribute its own strengths and resources to process the relevant projects smoothly. Based on the strengths of each party and the trend of global economic development, this will focus on the innovative projects in the fields of Civil Engineering, ICT, Modern Services and Rural Revitalization.
- To develop Belt & Road-related international educational and training programs for students and professionals in collaboration with the relevant entities from China, Sri Lanka and other countries where such programs are needed. (Including but not limited to language training, academic training for school level students, professional training, etc)
- To develop progression routes from academic programs, such as 2+2, 3+1 for undergraduate programs in the area of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, International Economy and Trade, Tourism Management, etc. Students can also join the master’s degree programs through special admission/ scholarships.
- To develop joint-research projects based on timely requirements of the socio-economic development of both countries.
- To develop pathway programs for teachers and staff of both universities pursuing master or doctoral degrees.
- To organize joint seminars, conferences, or workshops.
- To carry out student-exchange programs.
A memorandum of understanding was signed between two universities to create a roadmap for meeting the above objectives. Snr. Prof. Sampath Amaratunge, Vice Chancellor signed on behalf of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura while Prof. Huang Chengfeng, Vice President of Chongqing Jiaotong University signed for the other party. This initiative will lead to bringing vast number of benefits to the university community as well as the general public in Sri Lanka.
Mr. R.N. Weerasinghe, Chairman- Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Professor Mao Minyong – Director of International Office of the Chongqing Jiaotong University together with Academic staff members and some industry representatives witnessed the signing of MoU and participated in fruitful discussion on academic, cultural, and investment relationships between Sri Lanka and China.