The Business Information Systems Student Symposiums (BISSS) Award Ceremony organized by the Department of Information Technology (DIT) was held at the Faculty Board Room of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce (FMSC) on the 24th of February 2023 with the participation of the Dean of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce, academic staff members of DIT, invitees from the corporate sector, current undergraduates and the passed-out graduates of the Department.
The award ceremony was organized with two intentions, first of it being to recognize the presenters and special award winners of the Student Symposiums from 2020 – 2022 and secondly to appreciate the contributions made by key resource persons from the industry who joined hands with knowledge sharing sessions of the Department with the intention of sharpening the skills of the undergraduates and to provide the grooming necessary for them to enter the corporate world.
The chair of BISSS 2022, Dr. Shashikala Subhashini officially welcomed the gathering and the Head of the Department of Information Technology and the Chair of BISSS 2020, Dr. Mahesh Fernando delivered a speech addressing the objectives of the award ceremony, the nature of the student symposium and its intentions. The Dean of the Faculty, Prof. P.D. Nimal delivered a special address where he stressed on the crucial role played by Information Technology in the modern world and how the Department has contributed to the Faculty on numerous occasions to creatively address various challenges posed by the ever changing environment.
Ms. L. I. Assalaarachchi, one of the winners under the Best Software Development project category at BISSS 2022 conducted a demonstration on the winning project, developed with the intention of streamlining the internship record management process of the Department and Ms. P.G.S.S. Ranasinghe who was the winner of the best extended abstract at BISSS 2022 delivered a presentation on her research work under the theme “Factors Affecting the Intention to Pirate Software Products among Undergraduates”.
Over sixty students were awarded certificates and medals at the Award Ceremony and the following corporate invitees received a special appreciation during the event:
- Bhashitha Jayawardhane – General Manager – Enterprise data automation and application development, Hela apparel Holdings
- Ruvini Shanika – Senior Technical Lead – Quality – CAKE Engineering
- Wathsala Karunathilake – Senior software Engineer – Virtusa
- Imani Perera – Head of Learning and Development, John Keells Group
- Ransith Fernando – Managing Director/ Co-Founder – Forestpin
- Dhammike Mendis – Founder and CEO – Ceynocta (Pvt) Ltd.
- Nevindaree Premarathne – Founder and CEO at The Maker
- Lakmal Embuldeniya – Vice President of Global Presales, Delivery and Support Services, Tech One Global Ltd.
- Vajeendra S Kandegamage – Managing Director – Stemcore Asia (Pvt) Ltd and Chairman – BCS The Chartered Institute for IT (Sri Lanka Section)
- Chamil Jeewantha – Software Architect at Multiplier and former guest lecturer of the Department.
The event concluded with a brief networking session where the corporate participants conveyed their gratitude for organizing the event and appreciated the skills of the Department undergraduates.