Faculty of Graduate Studies
The Department of Food Science and Technology
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
The University of Sri Jayewardenepura is proud to be one of the leading academic establishments to produce Food Scientists and Food Technologist for the local and international food industry. The M.Sc. degree programme in Food Science and Technology is designed to improve the knowledge and skills of the employees in the public and private sector who are engaged in the food related industries.
This degree programme will enhance the knowledge on scientific aspects of food resources and their management for better utilization in the food business ventures. The duration of the degree programme is 2 years and it consists of course work, practical classes and a research study. Lectures and practical classes will be conducted in the weekends and Friday evening. The medium of instructions is English.
Suitable candidates must possess one of the following qualifications from a recognized university.
- B.Sc. degree with Chemistry as a subject,
- B.Sc. degree in Agriculture/ Chemical Engineering/ Nursing
- Bachelor of Bio Systems Technology
- M.B.B.S./ B.A.M.S / B.V.Sc./ Allied Health Sciences degree
- Any other degree recognized by the University Grant Commission.
The course fee is Rs. 450,000.00 (2 years) and needs to be paid in full prior to the commencement of the programme. In addition to the course fee, the registration fee (Rs. 5000.00), library fee (Rs. 5000.00), library deposit (Rs. 5000.00- refundable), science deposit (Rs 5000.00- refundable) and application fee (Rs. 2,000.00) have to be paid. Preference will be given to applicants that have been sponsored by the state and private sector or other organizations working in the food-related areas.
Application Closing Date: 24th February 2024
How to apply?
- Click on the “Apply Now” button below or go to “Applications” page.
- Select the Course “MSc in Food Science & Technology” and login with your email & NIC/passport number
- Enter your details and click on Submit.
- You will see “You have successfully submitted your Application” on a new web page. Download the application & Bank pay slip from this page.
You can pay the application fee online via Visa or Master Card in LKR from this page by clicking the icon.
- You can pay the application fee of Rs. 2,000/- online only at this stage. If not, you have to visit a People’s Bank physically and pay the application fee of Rs. 2,000/-to account number 053010005055
Account Holder: University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Bank & Branch: Peoples Bank, Gangodawila branch
- If the bank officer informs you that this account number is incorrect, please ask the officer to contact People’s bank, Gangodawila branch.
- People’s bank account contains 15 digits normally. But this account contains only 12 digits. So, you cannot use Cash Deposit Machines or bank applications to pay.
- The online payment can be done using the People’s Wave mobile app and use the guidelines attached herewith to pay the application fee. (You should type 053010005055 for the 6th Step in the guideline).
- Click here to view Guidelines on how to make a payment with Peoples Wave App
- Login again by repeating the above 1st & 2nd steps again.
- Click on the “Next” Button at the bottom. (If necessary, you are allowed to edit your details)
- You need to upload the following documents
- Colour Photograph (3.0cm width x 4.0cm height with plain sky-blue background) – .jpg or .png file
- Scanned copy of Birth Certificate – .pdf file
- Bank payment receipt or Online payment receipt- .pdf file
- Scanned copies of Academic Certificates (First Degree & Masters/MPhil) – .pdf files
- Scanned copy/ies of Professional Qualifications Certificate/s- .pdf files
- Scanned copy/ies of Other Qualifications Certificate/s – .pdf file/s
- Any relevant documents to verify work experiences – .pdf file
** no need to upload any Research Proposal / Concept paper
- Send the downloaded application (from the 4th step above) to email@example.com with scanned copies of the Degree Certificate, Transcript, Birth Certificate, Passport-size Colour photograph, and payment receipt.
Please write “MSc Food Science & Technology – 2024/2026” in the subject field of the email.
- Post the printed application (from 4th step above) along with the certified documents included in the above 8th step through a registered post to Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Gangodawila, Nugegoda.
Write “MSc Food Science & Technology – 2024/2026” on the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
For further details, please contact:
Prof. J. M. J. K. Jayasinghe
MSc Degree Programme in Food Science and Technology
Department of Food Science and Technology,
Faculty of Applied Sciences
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Phone: 0723124200 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Faculty of Graduate Studies
Mrs. Sachintha Ranathunga: 011 288 1557 | email@example.com
Registrar, University of Sri Jayewardenepura