Five research students of University of Sri Jayewardenepura (3 from Department of Forestry and Environmental Science, and 2 students from Department of Zooology) won “Best Research Presentation” awards at the WILD LANKA International Symposium organized by the Department of Wildlife Conservation,held on 15 & 16th August at Taj Samudra Hotel- Colombo, which make USJP students claiming all awards.
Mr. Hasitha Karawita, a PhD candidate; Mr. Upali Kumaratunga, a student in the Masters’ program in Forestry and Environmental Management, and Ms. Tara Mallikage, a BSc (Special) degree holder who have conducted their research under the supervision of Dr. Priyan Perera have been able to achieve this feet.
Mr. Chathuranga Dharmarathne, a student in M.Phil. program on Life Sciences and Mr. Dulan Jayasekara, a B.Sc. (Special) degree holder in Zoology, who have conducted their researches under the supervision of Prof. W. A. D. Mahaulpatha, Department of Zoology were also awarded by the “Best Presenter” award.
The best research presentation awards were won by above individuals for following abstracts presented at the conference;
- Habitat selection and burrow characterization of Indian pangolin (Manis crassicaudata) in a tropical lowland rainforest habitat in South-west Sri Lanka – K.V.D.H.R. Karawita
- Assessment of the environmental impacts of campsite use by visitors in selected national parks of dry zone, Sri Lanka – S.T.Mallikage
- Examining the reasons for failures of raids conducted by wildlife field officers and subsequent court cases – U. Kumaratunga
- Maturity stage categorization of endemic lizard (Calotes nigrilabris) in the grasslands of HPNP – Dulan Jayasekara
- Seasonal Distribution of Sri Lanka Dull-Blue Flycatcher (Eumyias sordidus) in the Horton Plains National Park – Mr. Chathuranga Dharmarathne
The University of Sri Jayewardenepura conveys its heartfelt congratulations to winners while thanking Dr. Priyan Perera and Prof. W.A.D Mahaulpatha for setting this benchmark that would indeed motivate future generations of the university.