Consultancy on Developing Internship Website and
Construction of Platform for the Online Magazine
The AHEAD Operation of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura invites Expressions of Interest from interested parties for consultancy on developing the Internship Website and Construction of Platform for the Online Magazine, under the ELTA-ELSE DP for Department of Sports Science (DSS), Faculty of Applied Sciences (FAS).
The development of the higher education sector is of central importance to enable Sri Lanka to make the transition from a Lower-Middle Income Country to an Upper Middle-Income Country. Recognizing this, the World Bank has agreed with the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) to support the higher education sector through a Bank-funded Accelerating Higher Education Expansion and Development (AHEAD) operation of Sri Lanka. The AHEAD Operation financed by the World Bank mainly focuses on accelerating the developments various arenas in the higher education sector in Sri Lanka to produce qualified, quality graduates who fit into the modern global demand.
The AHEAD operation is organized into two components. The first is a Program Component that supports the national Higher Education Development Program. The second is a systems strengthening, capacity building and technical assistance component that will assist GoSL to strengthen the higher education sector and achieve the objectives of the AHEAD program component. This second will also cover monitoring and evaluation, policy analyses, program coordination and communication.
The implementing agency is the Ministry of Higher Education and Highways (MHEH). The University Grants Commission (UGC) will coordinate the activities of the universities. There will be an Operations Monitoring and Support Team (OMST) which will coordinate and support all AHEAD activities between the MHEH, UGC, and the universities.
AHEAD has three Results Areas:
- Results Area 1: Increasing Enrollment in Priority Disciplines for Economic Development
- Results Area 2: Improving the Quality of Higher Education
- Results Area 3: Promoting Research, Development and Innovation
- THE OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The major objective of the grant received by the DSS under the AHEAD ELTA-ELSE DP can be summarized as to improve the employability and communication skills of undergraduates (UG). Under the proposed project, five activities with twelve sub-activities are proposed. One sub-activity aims to organize an Annual SSM Industrial Forum and a Career Fair and develop an online internship platform to expand the potential internship and employment opportunities portfolio. Another sub-activity proposes to launch an Online Magazine as a platform for students to showcase their creativity while enhancing communication skills.
The mere requirements of conducting the Industrial Forum and the Career Fair are not only to increase their employability but also to exchange their capabilities with different stakeholders around the world. Further, the proposed Online Magazine will also provide an avenue for students to present their work to the external world.
The gaps in relation to employability and English competencies were identified collaboratively during several meetings and discussions held among the members of the DSS along with the UG and external stakeholders. Based on the outcomes of these meetings, among the five activities proposed under the project, Activity 3 and Activity 5 were demarcated for the purpose of improvement of employability and communication skills of UG students, respectively, through providing exposure to the world of work and introducing numerous interactive learning methods to improve language skills. For this purpose, consultancy services are required for developing an Internship Website and constructing an online platform for the proposed Online Magazine of DSS.
- THE SCOPE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The scope of this contract includes the following;
- Submit a work schedule to design, develop and complete the Internship website and platform for the Online Magazine.
- Design and develop an internship web site to link the Department and the Industry
- Design and develop an online platform to publish Online Magazine of DSS
- Conduct training sessions for lecturers in charge and instructors to operate the website and the online platform.
- Hand over the blueprints of the final versions of the internship website and the online platform for the Magazine
- KEY TASKS AND ACTIVITIES
The website and the online platform must be developed according to the guidelines and requirements of the DSS, mainly focusing on the context of Sports Science and Management. Related guidelines will be provided by the lecturer/s in charge when and where necessary. During the time in which the website and the online platform are designed, developed and finalized, it is necessary to have several meetings with relevant lecturers of the Department and the reviewers. The main duties and responsibilities of the consultant are described as follows.
|Activity||Specifications to be satisfied||Timeframe (after signing the contract)|
|Submit a work schedule to design, develop and complete the Internship website and platform for the Online Magazine.||· Submit the work schedule including Gantt Chart.||01 April 2020 –
20 April 2020
|Design and develop the internship website to link the Department and the Industry
|· Design and develop a user-friendly web site providing access to lecturer in charge and employers linking Department and the Industry
· Incorporate students’ evaluation mechanisms into the website
· Develop the Standard Operational Procedure (SOPs) for operating the website
· Conduct a pilot run of the developed website to assure the proper functioning
|21 April 2020 –
22 June 2020
|Design and develop the online platform to publish the Online Magazine of DSS||· Design and develop a user-friendly online platform to publish the magazine
· Develop the SOPs to operate the online platform
· Conduct a pilot run of the developed online platform to assure proper functioning
|21 April 2020 –
22 June 2020
|Conduct training sessions for lecturers in charge and instructors to operate the website and the online platform||· Conducting the training programme for lecturers in charge and instructors on operating the internship website and the online platform||23 June 2020 –
02 July 2020
|Handing over the blueprints of the final versions of the internship website and the online platform.||· Hard and soft copies of the final versions of blueprints must be submitted after making modifications based on the comments/suggestions of the panel of reviewers.||03 July 2020 –
20 July 2020
- REPORTING THE DELIVERABLES
The consultant shall closely coordinate and report to the Project Coordinator and Activity Coordinator of the AHEAD ELTA-ELSE DP for DSS, FAS, USJ. The consultant should report his progress of the work to the Project Coordinator and the Activity Coordinator after every four-week period during the project time.
- DEVELOPMENT OF WEBSITE, ONLINE PLATFORM, SOPs AND BLUEPRINTS
After signing the contract, the action plan to develop the website and the online platform should be communicated to the DSS to arrange resources. The designing, development and completion process of the website and the online platform should be completed on the dates specified in Section 5.
Hard and soft copies of the SOPs and the blueprints of the final versions of the website and the online platform for the Magazine must be submitted to the Project Coordinator on the dates specified in Section 5.
- DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The contract will run for three (03) months from the date of signing the contract (01 April 2020 – 20 July 2020).
- MODE OF PAYMENT
Development of the internship website and SOPs along with the blueprint, and conducting training sessions for lecturers in charge and instructors to operate the website = Rs. 150,000.00
Development of the online platform, SOPs along with the blueprint, and conducting training sessions for lecturers in charge and instructors to operate the online platform of the Magazine = Rs. 50,000.00
The payment plan of the consultancy project is indicated below.
- 10% of the total value will be paid after submitting the work schedule including Gantt Chat.
- 40% of the total value will be paid after completing the construction of the internship website and the online platform for the Magazine.
- 20% of the total value will be paid after conducting training sessions for lecturers in charge and instructors.
- Balance 30% will be paid after submitting the SOPs and blueprints of the final versions of the website and online platform (both soft and hard copies).
- OWNERSHIP OF THE ASSIGNMENT
This assignment is funded by the MHEH via AHEAD-OMST under the programme component of AHEAD. As such, the University of Sri Jayewardenepura shall be the owner of the assignment and will reserves the Intellectual Property Rights for all deliverable of the assignment under the terms and conditions given in the IP policy of the University. The Consultant will have no right of claim to the assignment or its outputs once it is completed and no rights to use data and information gathered through the assignment for other purposes without written permission from the Vice-Chancellor. Any Reports/Data/Information produced as a part of this assignment shall be handed over to the Client in soft and hard forms.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology/ Computer Science/ Management Information Systems from a recognized university
- Minimum 05 years of experience in developing websites, online platforms and/or IT-based systems with SOPs and blueprints.
- REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Ability to meet the given deadlines
- Ability to be innovative and creative and successfully deliver the requirements specified by DSS
- Team working skills and good interpersonal relations
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate the implementation of processes and procedures
- Ability to analyze and resolve implementation issues effectively
- Extensive knowledge on the subject content and the practical applications of the same
- Application and Particulars:
Sealed quotations will be received by the Deputy Director/Procurement (OTS), AHEAD Operation, 1st Floor, Vice Chancellor’s Lodge, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Gangodawila, Nugegoda on or before 2.30 p.m. of 28-02-2020.
You are hereby requested to provide your work schedule along with your CV and any other data which you may think are relevant for accepting your quotation.
Dr W. G. S. Kelum
Download the Document